Skip to main content
7:00 pm
mark hyman and dr. daniel -- hear the controversial glenn beck and don lemmon host of "the 11th hour" followed by "in case you missed it" at 11:30 with brooke baldwin. "ac 360 later" starts right now. good evening, everyone. breaking news tonight somebody out there may have the makings of a radioactive dirty bomb. a missing container of cobalt 60. has been found but there's no word yet that all the contents of that container are accounted for. last time some of this stuff got loose people got sick. three people died. we're going to update you on that as we're getting more information in. first though a mess that is affecting millions tonight. a winter storm is starting to hammer the country's midsection. as ugly as it's getting out there what makes it even worse is how quickly and drastically
7:01 pm
this thing got going. a day ago springlike in parts of the mountain west. 80 in dallas. it will be below freezing in dallas. rick myers is monitoring the weather. what is going on, chad? >> we talk about cold weather in january and february but not this early in december. this is middle winter-type weather we're technically still in the fall. 80 in dallas today, 8 in denver. and that cold air is coming down into oklahoma city, look at these temperatures. from 9 in denver the high today to 80 in dallas love field. so this cold air is sinking out of canada, it's going to make its way all the way to the gulf coast. and basically stop. the problem is, the gulf coast says wait a minute it's still fall. i still want to be warm and tries to send up moisture, tries to send up humidity over the top of this cold air. so we're going to get an ice storm right through the central part of the plains where it's going to be 30 degrees and raining. how can it do that?
7:02 pm
why won't it be 30 and snow? because it's going to be 50 degrees aloft or even 40 degrees up up in the sky 5,000 feet so it's going to rain but where it's 30, 31, 32 degrees. a little bit of snow in oklahoma city. this isn't i don't believe a snowmaker. this is an ice machine for memphis, little rock, jonesboro, evansville. the ice will stick to everything. trees, power lines. millions of people will be without power before this thing finally stops. when it gets to new york and to the east coast it runs out of moisture before the cold air gets there so that's some good news. not putting down power lines in the northeast. but central part of the country is in for it for the next few days. this is going to get ugly and ugly fast. people will be stuck at work, kids will be stuck at school. by tomorrow night it will be an ice rink in dallas, into little rock and points northward and a lot of snow just to the north of there. >> so there are more storms behind this one.
7:03 pm
>> there are. there's actually another storm that could affect even parts of washington, d.c. for the i would say sunday night kind of arena. the warm air is already in place in dallas. the warm air is going to be in place in d.c., too. the cold air undercuts the warm air. and then all of a sudden it tries to rain through. so if you're on this part of the storm, you're going to get freezing rain and sleet. which means it's the stuff that it comes down and it freezes on the ground and just covers egg up. if you're a little bit farther where the air is thicker cold it will come down as an ice pellet. you'll be able to hear that hit the window or hit you. farther to the north of there, that will be snow. not for a long time. but can you imagine just even five or six hours' worth of slightly icy conditions in d.c. on a sunday night? that would slow everything to a stop. >> chad, thanks very much. almost a year since a gunman killed 20 children and six staffers at sandy hook elementary school in newtown, connecticut. 911 calls have been revealed.
7:04 pm
this network's been very careful about playing portions of the recordings. deb debra feyerick has heard them. >> reporter: what stands out is how police dispatchers responded to this. they were very professional. their training kicked in he notified his supervisor and had police respond. get everyone down there. he was able to make contact with somebody in the school and asks about the situation. the lockdown, learning that the school is in fact in lockdown. also that people are what he calls defending in place. he had a colleague notify the connecticut state police. this is happening very quickly but really within a matter of seconds he was able to assess the situation and get all the different parts moving to try to save as many people in that building as he possibly could. >> one of the calls also was made by the custodian.
7:05 pm
>> >> reporter: it was really fascinating to listen to him. this man who was called a hero at the time became the eyes and ears for the dispatcher. he was in a different part of the school building, a part away from the children and the gunman. but he was able to tell the dispatcher what he was hearing, when shots were being fired, when there was complete silence. he was able to show the dispatch what are he was seeing, the fact that people were now passing through the window. so the dispatcher could understand that in fact those were some of the responding officers. and even, anderson, at one point he makes contact with the responding officer whose confront him and the dispatcher says tell them you're the custodian. he says i'm the custodian. then the dispatcher was able to relay information to the responding officers including the fact that the connecticut state police were on their way and also the fact that there were indeed victims. so it happened very quickly. but those calls show a certain fear, urgency but a level of calm to do what had to be done to save those kids.
7:06 pm
>> deb faeyerick appreciate tha. none of this is easy for news organizations the decision to play some of these calls. with me is christiane amanpour, jeffrey toobin and dr. drew pinsky. this is obviously a difficult decision. news companies around the country have been wrestling with this all day. where do you come down on it, jeff? >> i think they should certainly be released. i think they should be available to the news media to make a news judgment about whether we should play them or not. >> i agree with that. >> i agree with your decision that i didn't hear anything in those tapes that really advanced the story a great deal. certainly the 911 operators behaved very professionally. the custodian was certainly a very responsible person reporting it. but there is really nothing in the story that changes our understanding of what happened. and so i just didn't really see the news value in them.
7:07 pm
>> christiane? >> i agree. i've heard a few of them and seen written reports of some of them. it appears that the police reacted very very fast, were on the scene within four minutes. so the news value issue i believe has been laid to rest. that it's not massively newsworthy. but beyond that i do think it's a matter of taste, anderson. i think we are really grappling with something that we could make the case for playing journalistically. we could. and let's be very clear. we may end up being accused of hypocrisy because we put out 911 tapes at the drop of a hat on every other issue. but this one i believe is a matter of taste. >> the other point it seems like it's so obvious, this is 2013. these tapes are all over the internet. if people want to hear them they can hear them. so it's not like we're denying the public. >> dr., where do you come down on this? >> i don't think there's a problem if you air them. the fact is the families should not listen to them. they would be terribly traumatized by it. i do feel they've asked us as a media not to go into newtown on
7:08 pm
the day of the anniversary. i agree we shouldn't. we should find a way to be respectful of the families but keep this story top of mind. we must keep telling and retelling and refine the story. because this is not the first time this kind of thing has happened the last couple of years. certainly caused us to cross into a zone that i never imagined this country would get into. as a result we must continue to illuminate every aspect of the story. because the fact is, nothing has really changed since this has happened. that's where our obligations lie. >> part of my thinking on this and my sort of i think as a staff our discussion was, there is this conspiracy -- there are these conspiracy people out there who don't believe this happened, who don't -- which is so absurd. and these tapes are yet obviously -- but even trying to convince these people. >> conspiracy theories that happened around 9/11, who did it. >> that's why i came down on it. trying to convince these people it's ridiculous. >> precisely. but it's worth remembering now that yes, indeed the 9/11911
7:09 pm
calls were played but in 2006. this city fought the release of the 9/11 tapes. and new york is not legally bound to make them public. when they disrelease them they scrubbed them heavily. you didn't hear the voices of those who had perished. >> that's the thing about these newtown tapes. it's not so much that -- you're not hearing anything horrific on the tapes. but it's the knowledge of what is occurring in the listener's mind that makes them chilling. >> absolutely. compared to some 911 tapes we've all heard and even played on the air, they are not as horrific. no one whose died voices on the tape you. can't hear any children in the background. so it's not that the tapes are so inflammatory or horrible in and of themselves but they are representative of an event that is probably the worst american public crime since 9/11. >> i think that some of them are
7:10 pm
pretty desperate. and it is hard to listen. to i only listened to a very few of them trying to make a judgment as to whether to use them. i think when people hear them if they do they will be very upset. you know some local stations in connecticut will not be airing them. other networks are taking their own decisions. i guess many won't be. but it's really important i think as dr. drew said as well that this will brings up a whole new set of emotions, and maybe -- i'm a little conflicted. maybe it should bring up a set of of emotions that forces something to change on this issue. >> absolutely. respectfully to all of us, the public is really not that concerned with the nuance of journalistic choice making. they are concerned with this story. the story and never letting this happen again and never forgetting it. and why aren't we moving forward? that's what we should be putting our energy. why can't we take this story and make real change? >> i think that's absolutely true. one of my reasons if we did air
7:11 pm
them would be -- this is not journalistically cool to say so, but to try to once again put this in the public to see whether it changes people's opinions. because there were lots of promises made. there were lots of promises made in the aftermath. and i know you were right. you said nothing would change and you were right. but that's an appalling way to be right. >> actually i disagree withdrew a little bit. i'm not sure it's our job to push change. >> i agree with that. >> it's not about pushing change. >> to say we want laws to go one way or the other. i. >> it may not be your job but i feel like it's my job from. my perspective, mental health professionals can't intervene in crises effectively. there need to be a kind of procedure put in place that allows people who note difference to do their job. >> i want to give you an example from a different set of facts when we were covering bosnia, any number of horrors in the
7:12 pm
field. i used to be infuriated when editors would say that such and such piece of video cannot be played because it's just too gruesome. i say hang on a second. that's the reality. and actually by telling our stories it did in the end change the reality and it changed the action and intervention and we moved the story along. so i'm very deeply conflicted about this. for me, genuinely it's a matter of taste and a matter of respecting the families one year on. >> but also i think to jeffrey's point about you can make the argument you don't necessarily want to hear them and that a program doesn't necessarily want to play them and is not going to play them. but that there is the right to have them be released >> yes. >> because yu don't want the government holding onto these sorts of things in the future try to hide incompetence or hide whatever it may be. >> and that's a very important principle. that's why i really thought it was wrong that the connecticut state's attorney on behalf of the family fought the release.
7:13 pm
and the judge who decided the case i thought did exactly the right thing. >> i understand why the families would fight the release. >> families fine. but the government officials should honor the law. and i do think by and large the news media is handling this issue responsibly. it shouldn't be up to the government to pick and choose what it discloses. i think it should be up to journalists, frankly, to decide what to put on the air. >> and to people to decide what they want to watch. >> we have many platforms. these things will probably be put online. >> they already are. >> people can go and listen if they like but the families are not forced to be traumatized at this time with this. and maybe in a few years, like the 9/11 tapes they might be put on our air and people will listen to them. >> let us know what you think about the decision. follow me on twitt twitter @andersoncooper. tweet us @ac360. authorities have found a
7:14 pm
stolen truck containing a radioactive substance to make a dirty bomb. unclear if all the material has been recovered. if you thought a crack-smoking mayor was news enough, there's new light about rob ford mayor of toronto. wiretapping information reveals apparent ties to a drug gang, alleged blackmail by said drug gang against the mayor and more. it's something as you'll see in just a moment. [ male announcer ] at humana, understanding what makes you different is what makes us different. we take the time to get to know you and your unique health needs. then we help create a personalized healthcare experience that works for you. and you. and you. with 50 years of know-how, and a dedicated network of doctors, health coaches, and wellness experts, we're a partner you can rely on -- today, and tomorrow. we're going beyond insurance
7:15 pm
to become your partner in health. humana. ♪ dial up my number now to become your partner in health. ♪ weaving it through the wire ♪ switch me on ♪ i want to touch you ♪ you're just made for love ♪ i need ooh la la la la la the day building a play set begins with a surprise twinge of back pain... and a choice. take up to 4 advil in a day or 2 aleve for all day relief. [ male announcer ] that's handy. ♪ [ male announcer ] that's handy. and what would this pretty i'm thinking the ford fusion... ho, ho, ho!....the what? i need a car that's stylish and fashionable... especially in my line of work. now do you have a little lemonade stand?
7:16 pm
guys, i'm in fashion! but i also need amazing tech too... like active park assist... it practically parks itself. and what color would you like? i'll have my assistant send you over some swatches... oh... get a fusion with 0% financing for 60 months, plus $500 ford credit holiday bonus cash during the ford dream big sales event. she loves a lot of it's what you love about her. but your erectile dysfunction - that could be a question of blood flow. cialis tadalafil for daily use helps you be ready anytime the moment's right. you can be more confident in your ability to be ready. and the same cialis is the only daily ed tablet approved to treat ed and symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently or urgently. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medications, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity.
7:17 pm
do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than 4 hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or if you have any allergic reactions such as rash, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use and a 30-tablet free trial.
7:18 pm
breaking news out of mexico, authorities have located a stolen truck carrying radioactive material called cobalt 60. what is not known at this point is if all of the material has actually been recovered. here's the concern about cobalt 60. terrorists could use to it make a dirty bomb. brian todd tonight has the late developments. what do we know about this, anderson? >> reporter: this information coming from juan heartman the director of mexico's national committee for nuclear security. he says the truck that was stolen on monday has been found near the town of zampango north of mexico city. the container which contained the cobalt 60 was not on the truck when it was found but the container was found about a half mile away. key piece of information here, the container according to this gentleman from the nuclear agency did have cobalt 60 inside of it but it is not clear if officials have been able to recover all of the cobalt 60 that was inside of that container.
7:19 pm
that container was found opened and cobalt 60 was found inside. but it is not clear if all of the cobalt 60 has been recovered. we believe they are still working on that information, still working the area, anderson, where radiation has been detected, we are told, and special teams have been sent in to examine the area. >> do you know why there was cobalt 60 in this truck? i assume the truck was just randomly stolen, not necessarily targeted or do we know that? >> reporter: we don't know if it was targeted or not. u.s. officials had told us it was not clear if the assailants even knew that cobalt 60 was inside it. that information is still not quite clear at this hour. the reason that it was intercepted where it was was because it was being transported from a hospital to this mexican nuclear agency for some kind of disposal. and the driver of the truck and his assistant stopped to take a rest. this was early monday morning when this was stolen. so they've been looking for this truck for nearly three days
7:20 pm
nowno now, anderson. that was a real concern. >> not clear if the people who had stolen this truck knew what they had in cargo and whether they've taken any of this stuff. i want to talk more about what the potential use of this is with national security analyst bob bair, former cia officer. it's unclear, bob, if all the radioactive materials have actually been recovered. if somebody with ill intent did get their hands on this what would it actually mean? how difficult is it to use this stuff to make a kind of a bomb? >> well, the difficult part is to mill it in order to disperse it. it has to be final milled. but once you got through that then you'd put it on ammonium night ra nitrate, put it on a truck. 2000 pounds of this explosive set it downtown los angeles, you could close los angeles basically for two years while it was cleaned up.
7:21 pm
the casualty rates are difficult to measure. but the first 24 hours before 500 people and beyond that 20 times that after that. >> how well-equipped are authorities in cities in the united states, for instance, to handle a situation like this, scenario like this? we've seen hazmat teams going through training. but are we ready for this kind of thing? >> oh, i think we are. but it's the problem the mexican border. you can get this stuff across through tunnels. if somebody was well-organized. and as far as making the homemade explosive it's very easy to do. but there's not much we can do about it. and with the chaos in mexico and the ability to grab this stuff is what scares people. and it rightly should. but they're doing the best they can. the border crossings are monitored, but again the tunnels are not. >> and after 9/11, obviously, the united states instituted stricter rules about protecting dangerous isotopes like this. but in terms of regulating them if other countries aren't as
7:22 pm
vigilant that's a major problem, i would imagine. >> anderson, you're absolutely right. it's much harder to do in mexico. and with the cartel's ability to get at the sources of this, steal it, give it to al qaeda or n narco terrorism it's sort of wide open and scarce people for a good reason. >> you talked about how it's made into a dirty bomb. that's information which is available on the internet so it's not as if you're telling some secret you shouldn't be saying, correct? >> no. absolutely no. people know this. the dirty bombs, the fear of it has been around for a long time. it's all over the internet. like most of these things are. and these people know how to do this. >> bob we'll continue to follow this obviously the bottom line we do not know if all of the cobalt 60 was still in that container. authorities are obviously looking into that. we'll obviously let you know as soon as we know. it's one of the things we've been trying to ascertain in the last 20 minutes or so that we've been on the air you.
7:23 pm
can find more on the story at cnn.com tonight. next new revelation about toronto's crack-smoking mayor rob ford. what might tie him to a know toerious and violent drug gang might entangle him in a blackmail scheme. all in all they're just kind of stunning. we'll show you some of the transcripts. also tonight solving the mystery of why all those whales are stranding themselves down in florida and an effort to rescue as many as can be saved. ♪ morning, turtle. ♪ my friends are all around me
7:24 pm
♪ my friends, they do surround me ♪ ♪ i hope this never ends ♪ and we'll be the best of friends ♪ [ male announcer ] the 2014 chevrolet traverse... all set? all set. [ male announcer ] ...with three rows of spacious seating for up to eight. imagine that. chevrolet. find new roads. so when coverage really counts, count on nationwide insurance. because what's precious to you is precious to us. ♪ love, love is strange just another way we put members first. because we don't have shareholders. join the nation. ♪ baby... ♪ nationwide is on your side ♪
7:25 pm
7:26 pm
i want you to know stuff i want you to be kind. i want you to be smart. super smart. i want one thing in a doctor. i want you to be handsome. i want you to be awesome. i don't want you to look at the chart before you say hi...david. i want you to return my emails. i want you to keep me doing this for another sixty years. at kaiser permanente, we want you to choose the doctor that's right for you. find your perfect match at kp.org and thrive. welcome back. an update tonight in toronto's crack-smoking mayor. by an update if you mean the lead sentence in toronto's star
7:27 pm
"mayor rob ford's habits of doing drugs with gang members led him into an extortion plot related to the crack cocaine video and compromising positions" newly released documents say. that is the lead story today and just the start of it. you'll recall when last we checked in with his honor he was knocking over the city councilwoman after the council stripped him of powers after he admitted to smoking crack. >> these allegations are ridiculous. absolutely not true. it's ridiculous. >> are the allegations true? >> i did not use crack cocaine, nor am i an addict of crack cocaine. >> not long after that he did in fact cop to smoking crack as only he could. >> yes, i have smoked crack cocaine. >> when, sir? >> do i? am i an addict? no. have i tried it? probably in one of my drunken stupors.
7:28 pm
>> pretty much the best answer ever. the crack-smoking video did not surface but another one did of an on vicely hy an obviously hyped up mayor ford on some kind of rant about a rival. >> back to the crack tape which was apparently in the hands of a local drug gang. the police documents detail alleged efforts by ford to buy it back. they also describe wiretapped recordings of gang members talking about the mayor's drug
7:29 pm
habit. this is in one of the alleged drug dealers says "rob ford wants some drugs" says one man on the tape. another says "we have pictures of rob ford quote on the pipe unquote. it is very compelling and convoluted. we're joined by the toronto star's robin doolittle out on front in this story to beginning. robin, these wiretap summaries you've obtained, they seem to show mayor ford tried to buy at least according to people on the tape tried to buy the infamous crack smoking tape. from the transcript a gang member, he was talking to a fellow gang member about what ford offered him for the video. he said quote yeah, he, meaning ford, said i'll give you 5,000 and a car. what the f is that. this is crazy stuff. what do you make of these transcripts? >> basically what's happened here of course these allegations haven't been proven in court. but it looks like rob ford seems to have chosen to associate with a gang that happened to be under
7:30 pm
heavy police surveillance. they were being wiretapped. and so the cops were looking into this group for alleged gun smuggling and drug dealing and they hear these guys talking about selling crack to the mayor of toronto. they are hearing about this house the mayor seems to frequent to buy drugs from. somewhere along the line they noticed that these guys were talking to the toronto star about trying to sell a video of him smoking crack. throughout the tapes you can hear or you understand that the gang members are talking about they're actually taking photos of him and threatening him with these. at one point bizarre side the mayor lost his phone at one point at one of these crack houses and then said something to the effect he was trying to buy that phone back. and one of his associates allegedly threatened to rain heat down on the neighborhood if they didn't return the phone. that's a crazy story. it involves a kidnaping. and that's kind of where we are right now. >> how does a mayor of a major city like toronto, a wonderful
7:31 pm
city, how does a mayor even get linked up with a violent drug gang? who makes that introduction? how do you -- i'm just mystified. is that clear yet? like how does he start hanging out with a violent drug gang whether or not he's buying crack or not? how dud he start hanging out with them? >> well, it's a certain area he's a counselor and his home is only about ten minutes away from this complex of housing where the bloods operate out of. his older sister is a former heroin addict. he has other addiction issues in his family. i guess it's sort of a small world in some sense. but certainly i think if you believe that the mayor is using drugs, he has some very un -- he made an unlucky move dealing with a gang that happens to be under one of the largest police wiretap investigations in recent years. >> well also, i guess -- i don't know if he felt they were his
7:32 pm
friends but according to these conversations they're trying to extort him. >> right. >> so i mean he's just not hanging out with a great group of folks, clearly. another part of the transcript shows drug dealers talking about the mayor's alleged drug use. one of them says quote rob ford wants some drugs. another says quote the mayor of the city rob ford was smoking his rocks today. they say they have pictures of ford quote on the pipe. has the mayor responded to this? and again, this is is not the mayor talking on these tapes. these are people involved in the drug trade so i guess you have to take them with a grain of salt. >> what's really interesting about this is that there's a clear -- a clear motive from these guys to take pictures of him and document him and collect them if you believe what they're saying and basically collect a get out of jail free card as far as the mayor was concerned. they frequently make references
7:33 pm
to having evidence of him using drugs. they also note they like him by the way. they said we like him a lot but we've got so much stuff on him. it's a completely bizarre story. and the mayor so far has only said he might have smoked crack once, that one time in a drunken stupor. today his lawyer was at city hall. when he left the building today he sort of just chuckled. he hasn't responded to these at all. >> sort of for all his talk about well i've done a great job, if he's making payoffs and being extorted, that's got to weigh heavily on anybody in terms of just being able to function at their job if you're being extorted for large amounts of money. i also understand, and this i find confusing, the cell phone video ford allegedly smoking crack, now i've seen some reports that it's believed there's possibly a murder somehow wrapped up in this, that there's a picture from the toronto police that we're now showing that the man on the left in this picture is a man
7:34 pm
allegedly murdered, is it because of the video? >> right. this is a really complicated side story. i'll try to explain it really quickly and concisely. this man anthony smith was killed just days before the initial dealer called me saying they had this video. and that person said that the man, anthony smith, was killed because of the video. after the video story was published, members of the mayor's staff were telling each other that they had received calls and that they believe that anthony smith was killed because of the video, that the video was on his phone and that was the motive for murder. it does not appear that that is the case. police are very -- my police sourcers are very adamant that is not the case this. guy was killed in regular gang fighting. but what is really significant is that members of the mayor of toronto staff believed that this could have been true, that the mayor in a videotape smoking crack was a motive for murder and they were discussing anytime
7:35 pm
office. it is really -- >> when i read these transcripts today i was stunned. just incredible. robyn, great to have you on again. robyn doolittle from the toronto star. what a just released autopsy report reveals about "fast and furious" star paul walker's final moments plus the investigation into the car crash that killed him. a" ac 360" report on a young girl who died far too young. her cover of a katy perry song and her courageous battle ahead.
7:36 pm
so you can see like right here i can just... you know, check my policy here, add a car, ah speak to customer service, check on a claim...you know, all with the ah, tap of my geico app. oh, that's so cool. well, i would disagree with you but, ah, that would make me a liar. no dude, you're on the jumbotron! whoa. ah...yeah, pretty much walked into that one. geico anywhere anytime. just a tap away on the geico app. i'm bethand i'm michelle. and we own the paper cottage. it's a stationery and gifts store. anything we purchase for the paper cottage goes on our ink card. so you can manage your business expenses and access them online instantly with the game changing app from ink. we didn't get into business to spend time managing receipts, that's why we have ink. we like being in business because we like being creative, we like interacting with people.
7:37 pm
so you have time to focus on the things you love. ink from chase. so you can.
7:38 pm
7:39 pm
tonight a 360 exclusive, the family of olivia weiss speaks out after losing her to brain cancer. she died just last week. 16 years is certainly not a long life, but it was time enough for olivia to leave an extraordinary mark on the world. her cover of katy perry's song "r "roar" has gotten more than 2 million hits on youtube. she recorded it in september as her battle with cancer was
7:40 pm
getting harder. ♪ i am a tiger a fighter dancing in the fire a champion and you're going to hear me roar ♪ >> that recording has inspired a lot of of people including katy perry who sent this video message to olivia after hearing it. >> hey, olivia. it's katy perry here. i just wanted to reach back out to you and tell you that i saw your video. and i was very moved. and you sounded great. for being in a studio and making your wish to record that song, i thought that was really cool. i love you. a lot of people love you. and that's why your video got to me. and it moved everybody that saw it. so just wanted to send you some love and some light and tell you that i'm thinking about you. thank you so much. keep roaring. >> well, olivia did keep roaring right up until the end according to her familiar lit loss obviously still incredible law. but olivia's mom and sister told us they were ready to talk now.
7:41 pm
they've created a fund to help other kids with cancer. i spoke earlier to carey winemaker and kalely weiss. >> how are you holding up first of all? >> we actually are -- we've had a really rough week. and we're holding up basically due to all the distractions. basically it's coming in waves. it's the worst thing that we've ever had to deal with. and it's a great loss. and we're trying to take the positive from it all and move forward. because that's what olivia would have wanted. >> what do you want people to know about olivia? i mean, the people who feel like they've met her because of seeing her sing. i mean, her spirit and her strength i think is what impacted so many people. >> well, we've always known olivia was so special. and now world's seen how special she really is. and olivia just showed us such
7:42 pm
strength and courage through her illness. and the one thing that we would like the world to know is that it's important to keep your strength, follow your dreams. olivia never gave up fighting for her dream. >> she never gave up. >> no. she was in school until august. still planning to do all the things she wanted to do. she rarely succumbed to negativity. she was always just fighting each day. she saw the beauty in each day. and she's just really such a beautiful young woman. we're so proud of her >> yes. what do you want people to know about olivia? >> well, like my mom said a whole lot. like olivia's whole life she was always something special. her personality. there's nobody like her. she's quite special. and it's just nice that the whole world can see how talented she is. >> was she always a really good
7:43 pm
singer? >> she's been singing her whole life like since she was three she was in plays at school. she wrote her song "simple girl" when she was 11 years old. which is crazy. what 11-year-old writes a song? >> how many adults can write songs? i couldn't write a song. what did she think when it started to get so many hits and so many people watching. >> well, she couldn't believe it. she kept saying, i can't believe it. i can't believe it. we're like, you're famous. it's like 200,000, 300,000, and it just kept going. she was really excited. >> and also to have katy perry respond to her. >> that was a dream. yeah. >> it just shows how special she is that she could even touch katy perry, which is crazy. >> and all the people that reached out to get to katy perry was amazing. and yeah, we're so grateful for katy perry to answering us. because i'm sure there are so many children and people that
7:44 pm
want to reach her. and we're glad olivia made that impact. >> it's just so must be -- i have a brother who died when i was 21 and he was 23. and i have no video of him. there's no video of him talking. that's something that's sort of as the years have gone by i sort of can't remember what his voice sounds like. and to have her voice on tape it's got to be such a powerful thing. >> oh, my god. i'm haves have goose bumps. because that was one of my biggest fierce. for technology today and to have her voice and all the pictures and the videos and the things that we have even from when she was younger, i'm just so grateful for that. >> is it too painful to watch them now? or do you like watching them? >> i watch them. we kind of have a rule. she doesn't want me to watch them at night before bed. because yeah, it's hard. but i just feel like i know she would want us to watch them and
7:45 pm
enjoy them. she would always say to me, mom, you have to be strong. you have other kids. and i just keep hearing what she said to me. and really she's just propelling us forward with this whole live weiss fund. >> even when she got the diagnosis. she remained incredibly strong in the fate face of this. >> she really did. she rarely had times of being down. >> she rarely complained. like i can't even remember her complaining at all, not to me at least. and she was always so positive. she wouldn't want us to cry. when we would get upset she would be like, don't be sad. she wanted us all to be happy and enjoy our time together. >> you mentioned the live wise fund. explain what it is for people who don't know. this is a t-shirt, live wise. >> so we started a fund a couple of months ago in her name just to raise money for brain cancer research. since then we've changed it. it goes towards brain cancer research and pogo, which is --
7:46 pm
>> the pediatric oncology group of ontario as well as the palliative care team at children's hospital. we just want to keep her spirit alive really. we just want to keep raising awareness and funds to find a cure for this. because olivia's dream was to help. >> this is a rare form of brain cancer. >> yes. but i mean, there's a lot of kids with cancer. and olivia just -- she wanted to be a pediatrician. so we just want to help her ton to help children. and we don't want other families to have to suffer. >> and these t-shirts, going to go on sale at american apparel? is that right? >> friday they should be out. they're for $10. all the proceeds go to the liv wise fund. >> well, i'm so glad you're doing this and continuing her message. and i appreciate you taking the time to talk about olivia with us. thank you. >> thank you. >> the liv wise fund has set up a goal of raising $250,000.
7:47 pm
it's raised more than 168,000 so far. you can learn more at livwise fund.com at our web site ac360.com as well. new details about actor paul walker's death. what the just released coroner's report reveals about his final moments. come with a warning. today her doctor has her on a bayer aspirin regimen to help reduce the risk of another one. if you've had a heart attack, be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. if you've had a heart attack, be sure to talk to your doctor ♪ nothing says, "you're my #1 copilot," like a milk-bone biscuit. ♪ say it with milk-bone.
7:48 pm
impact wool exports from new zealand, textile production in spain, and the use of medical technology in the u.s.? at t. rowe price, we understand the connections
7:49 pm
of a complex, global economy. it's just one reason over 70% of our mutual funds beat their 10-year lipper average. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. request a prospectus or summary prospectus with investment information, risks, fees and expenses to read and consider carefully before investing. so you want to drive moreation, safely? of smart.and expenses stop eating. take deep breaths. avoid bad weather. [ whispers ] get eight hours. ♪ [ shouts over music ] turn it down! and, of course, talk to farmers. hi. hi. ♪ we are farmers bum - pa - dum, bum - bum - bum - bum ♪
7:50 pm
7:51 pm
tonight new details about the horrific car crash that killed "fast and furious" star paul walker. preliminary coroner's report has ruled his death an accident. findings add to the picture still coming into focus. the high performance porsche hitting a light pole and tree on saturday before bursting into flames. the gap between the crash and the fire raised questions about whether the driver richard rodas may have survived the crash. kyung lah joins me now from the crash. what do we know now? >> reporter: that report certainly helps explain that surveillance video obtained by cnn. you mentioned the pole and the tree coming down and then that 60-second gap. what the autopsy results show that is roger rodas, the driver, well, he died of multiple traumatic injuries. but the l.a. county coroner's office is saying that paul walker, the passenger, he died
7:52 pm
of multiple traumatic injuries as well as thermal injuries, suggesting that he was alive in that 60-second gap giving us some insight into the last moments of his life. >> there's also some news about walker's film franchise "fast and furious." >> reporter: yes, absolutely. universal pictures is announcing that it will be shut down. they are trying to figure out what their next step is going to be. they say they're going look at all the options. that they are grieving and committed to fans. but at the same time, this is a franchise that has been enormously successful for universal. the last film grossed $800 million worldwide. it made the most out of all the other movies. and it was the sixth one. so universal certainly hoping that it can continue. but with the loss of their star they looking at options, anderson. >> kyung lah appreciate it. susan hen driks has the 360 bulletin. a survive of the metro north train derailment that killed four people and injured 67
7:53 pm
others in new york has taken the first step toward filing a lawsuit in connection with that accident. the passenger's attorney says the suit will accuse the railroad of negligence. wildlife officials are trying to rescue 41 short-fund pilot whales trapped in shallow water in the florida everglades but they're having trouble with the terrain. testing will be done on ten other whales that died in the group to hopefully find out why they beached themselves. and a minor mishap at the white house today at a ceremony unveiling the christmas decorations. the first family's new puppy sunny jumped on a little girl knock her down. fortunately, though, she was not hurt. there she is. how cute is she. she was able to get right back on her feet and started chatting with the first lady. she is okay. >> susan, thanks. "the ridiculist" is next. we'll be right back. hey kevin...still eating chalk for heartburn?
7:54 pm
yeah... try new alka seltzer fruit chews. they work fast on heartburn and taste awesome. these are good. told ya! i'm feeling better already. [ male announcer ] new alka seltzer fruits chews. enjoy the relief! is what makes us different. we take the time to get to know you and your unique health needs. then we help create a personalized healthcare experience that works for you. and you. and you. with 50 years of know-how, and a dedicated network of doctors, health coaches, and wellness experts, we're a partner you can rely on -- today, and tomorrow. we're going beyond insurance
7:55 pm
to become your partner in health. humana. and you work hard to get to the next level. it feels good when you reach point b, but you're not done. for you, "b" is not the end. capella university will take you further, because our competency-based curriculum gives you skills you can apply immediately, to move your career forward. to your point "c." capella university. start your journey at capella.edu.
7:56 pm
7:57 pm
time now for "the ridiculist." tonight we have a story from thanksgiving night in bridgeport, connecticut where a 911 dispatcher with 18 years of experience took what she thought had to be a prank call. >> i was just robbed at gun point right there. >> you were robbed? >> i was walking to a friend of mine's house for thanksgiving. >> just now? >> just now. they took my turkey, a bag of -- >> they took your turkey? >> they took my turkey. >> nine times out of ten when someone calls you and says they took my turkey it is a prank call. not this time.
7:58 pm
our thanksgiving 911 caller persisted. >> i was walking to a friend of mine's house because ways going to make my turkey at their house with some three bean casserole because my oven doesn't work. >> three bean casserole. it was for real this call. a man by the name of jimmy mulligan was robbed of his turkey and his side dishes on thanksgiving of all days. they just left him without a turkey on thanksgiving. once he convinced the 911 dispatcher that it was for real, soon enough a police officer showed up at his house. >> and i come downstairs thinking that he wound the two suspect and got my turkey. he gets out of his patrol car with two boston market dinners for me and my friend. >> i love boston market. maybe i'm still a little emotional from cnn heroes, but i don't know if i can take this. the police officer brought thanksgiving dinner for jimmy and his friend. but wait there's more. it was the 911 dispatcher working on thanksgiving who took up a collection at the call center and ordered the differents from boston market
7:59 pm
because she felt bad for jimmy. that is incredibly touching especially when you take into account what these 911 operators, what they have to deal with. if you've seen the ridiculist before you know the turkey-related 911 calls they field. they're usually like this one. >> i'm at greatful deli. and i specifically asked for little turkey and little ham, a lot of cheese and a lot of mayonnaise. and they're giving me a heart time. i was wondering if you could stop by and just -- i was just wondering if you could just -- >> you're calling 911 because you don't like the way that they're making your sand womwic? >> exactly. >> so don't buy it. >> words of wisdom. if nothing else this time we have a food-centric 911 call that was warranted and the victim got to have a thanksgiving dinner after all. >> i was just happy that the police officer and the
8:00 pm
dispatchers were able to help out in a time of need. ways really thankful for that. >> proof that a 911 call involving a thanksgiving day robbery can have a heart-warming ending on "the ridiculist." don lemon is up next with the new program "the 11th hour." 911. what's the location of your emergency? >> sandy hook school. i think somebody is shooting in here. >> december 14th. almost one year ago. when you hear the 911 tapes from that day at sandy hook your heart just sinks. but does anyone really need to hear that again? i'm don lemon. this is "the 11th hour." i want you to listen to something else. something just as powerful. two people on opposite sides of that tragedy. the aunt of adam lanza and father of one of the 6-year-olds he killed. both of them agree about one thing. the 911 tapes should not have been released. >> i don't think the timing is right for them to be released. i think emotions are very

tv
AC 360 Later
CNN December 4, 2013 7:00pm-8:01pm PST

News/Business. Anderson Cooper hosts guest panels in lively and informed discussions about the news of the day. New.

TOPIC FREQUENCY Toronto 11, Cobalt 8, Katy Perry 8, Dallas 6, Turkey 4, Mexico 4, Paul Walker 4, New York 3, Geico 3, Anthony Smith 3, Boston 3, Florida 2, Capella University 2, Humana 2, Oklahoma City 2, Sandy 2, Los Angeles 2, T. Rowe 2, Rob Ford 2, Anderson 2
Network CNN
Duration 01:01:00
Rating TV-MA
Scanned in San Francisco, CA, USA
Source Comcast Cable
Tuner Channel v759
Video Codec mpeg2video
Audio Cocec ac3
Pixel width 1920
Pixel height 1080
Sponsor Internet Archive
Audio/Visual sound, color


disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 12/5/2013
Views
61